Posted April 26, 2009on:
1. To mark your page you: use a bookmark, bend the page corner, leave the book open face down?
I use bookmarks now. When I didn’t have any bookmarks, I’d used whatever I could find, like scraps of paper, pieces of junk mail, tissues (not used, I swear!), receipts, etc. I never bend the pages, and rarely leave the book open face down unless I know I’m going to get back to the book in a few minutes.
2. Do you lend your books?
Not very often. The last time I lent some books out, the person I lent them to damaged the books. I wasn’t very happy about that, because I am very careful with others’ belongings, and want other people to treat mine the way they’d treat theirs. But if someone asked me to borrow some books, I’d let them, because I love talking about books with other people.
3. You find an interesting passage: you write in your book or NO WRITING IN BOOKS!
I never write in my books. Never. If I find an interesting passage, I just mark it with a bookmark or something.
4. Dust jackets – leave it on or take it off?
I usually take them off, unless they’re affixed to the book already.
5. Hard cover, paperback, skip it and get the audio book?
I like both hardcover and paperback, although I own a lot more paperback books than hardcover. I don’t really like audiobooks though, because I can’t read at my own pace with an audiobook. And usually the person’s voice distracts me from enjoying the book.
6. Do you shelve your books by subject, author, or size and color of the book spines?
All of my shelfs fit different size books, so I have to be conscious of a book’s size to be able to fit it on a particular shelf. But I try to keep the same authors books together, especially if I have different series.
7. Buy it or borrow it from the library later?
For a very long time, I’d only borrow books from the library. But in the past 3 years, I’d buy almost all my books. Not this year. Strictly from the library, or if I happen to win a giveaway. I mostly read books first before I decide to buy them, but I’ve bought some books because they were bargain books on the Barnes and Noble website or from their covers and the blurbs, and I’m glad I did buy them.
8. Do you put your name on your books – scribble your name in the cover, fancy bookplate, or stamp?
Nope. The only writing in any of my books is if I found books at a garage sale and they already had writing in them, or if I get a book signed or inscribed by an author.
9. Most of the books you own are rare and out of print books or recent publications?
I actually have a mix of both. I spent 50 dollars on two rare out of print books once because my library didn’t have them, and neither did any major online bookstore, except from a used bookseller on Barnes and Noble. Most of the books are probably recent publications though.
10. Page edges – deckled or straight?
11. How many books do you read at one time?
A few. I read some books, and then go back to them later after I finished another.
12. Be honest, ever tear a page from a book?
Never have. The blank pages in books are annoying, but I’ve never tore any out before. Probably won’t ever do it, either.
If anyone else does this, let me know so I can read your answers too.